Archive for the 'public safety & townwatch' Category
The Greater Philadelphia region is a cold place to be during the winter, especially if you do not have a warm coat.
Be part of the Greater Philadelphia Cares 17th Annual Winter Coat Drive.
Last year over 130 businesses, civic groups and individuals collected 6000 new and gently used coats that were distributed throughout the region…and EPX donated 79!
Every year, thousands of men, women, and children in the Greater Philadelphia region live through the cold winter season without a coat to keep warm. You may help provide them with this basic necessity. This event is a reminder that there are thousands of people whose only holiday wish is a warm coat for their children, parents, or themselves.
There are two ways area residents may help:
- Bring your new or “gently used” winter coat(s) to the January 7th EPX General Membership meeting held in the EPX Center 1729 S. 11th Street on the campus of Ss. Neumann-Goretti High School!
To the Editor:
The article (“East Passyunk eases drivers’ parking dilemmas,” Sept. 27) failed to mention the involvement of the East Passyunk Crossing Civic Association (EPX) in brokering the arrangement with Ss. Neumann-Goretti High School.
The EPX board is thrilled about the booming eateries and shops on East Passyunk Avenue and has worked in partnership with many of them. Paradiso, Alphabet Academy and Cantina Los Cabillitos have all won our community service award for their outreach to the neighborhood. In addition, EPX maintains a great working relationship with the Passyunk Avenue Revitalization Corp. (PARC), and the East Passyunk Avenue Buisness Improvement District (EPABID). These relationships have helped our neighborhood thrive.
EPX heard about the need for parking lot space from PARC and the EPABID and saw the opportunity for revenue, in the way of tuition funds for Neumann-Goretti. The arrangement we brokered was a triple-win: First, we were able to assuage the constant parking complaints of the neighbors who are impacted by the success of the restaurants along the business corridor. Second, the business community, led by EPABID and PARC, gains access to ample parking space a block-and-a-half from the avenue, and third, a well-respected neighborhood institution gains much-needed scholarship funds.
For six years, EPX has striven to meet the needs of its residents. Parking has, and sadly, will always be a concern in our area. This partial parking solution was an EPX idea, and we are very proud of that fact.
Joseph F. Marino and Darren Fava
Co-Chairs, Board of Directors
East Passyunk Crossing Civic Association
Free ID Cards for Kids
Thursday November 8, 5-8pm
11th & Wharton
A representative from New York Life will be in the 3rd Police District providing free ID cards that include your child’s photo & digital fingerprints. Parents must register by November 2, contact Antonell DeFelice at 610-608-9336 for an appointment.
October 31st, 2012 .
Filed under: public safety & townwatch | Comments Off
STANDING WATER: Prevent Mosquito Breeding in Your Yard and Home: Mosquitoes are a common summer nuisance. They are not only annoying, but they can transmit West Nile virus, encephalitis, malaria and yellow fever to humans, and heartworms to pets. You can take simple steps to reduce this menace right at home, since mosquitoes can breed right in your own yard.
Standing water means you could be raising mosquitoes! Adult flying mosquitoes often rest in tall grass and shrubs, but they cannot develop there. All mosquitoes need water to complete their life cycle. Some mosquitoes lay eggs in standing water where they hatch in just a day or two. Other mosquitoes may lay their eggs in old tires, tin cans or other containers. The eggs may hatch weeks or even months later when the containers have collected water. After every rainfall, remember to remove any standing water from your yard and help keep mosquitoes from hatching.
- Throw out or properly store old tires, tin cans, buckets, drums, bottles, or any water-holding containers so they cannot collect water.
- Fill in or drain any low places (puddles, ruts) in yard.
- Keep drains, ditches and culverts clean of weeds and trash so water can drain properly.
- Cover trash containers to keep out rain water.
- Repair leaky pipes and outside faucets.
- Empty plastic wading/”kiddie” pools at least once a week and store it indoors when not in use.
- Make sure your backyard pool is properly maintained, especially while on vacation.
- Fill in tree rot holes and hollow stumps that hold water with sand or concrete.
- Change the water in bird baths and plant pots or drip trays at least once each week.
- Keep grass cut short and shrubbery well trimmed around the house so adult mosquitoes cannot hide.
For more information about the West Nile Virus, go to: www.westnile.state.pa.us TT Vector Control Services Environmental Health Services 111 West Hunting Park Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19140 (215) 685-9027 www.phila.gov/health
Mulai Teks Bahasa Indonesia
Cegahlah Berkembangnya Nyamuk di Halaman dan Rumah Anda!
Setiap musim panas nyamuk muncul sebagai hama bagi kita! Bukan saja sebagai gangguan, tetapi juga sebagai penyalur berbagai macam penyakit, seperti Virus Nil, radang otak, malaria, maupun demam kuning yang menyerang manusia atau cacing hati yang menyerang binatang peliharaan kita. Bahkan nyamuk bisa bertelur langsung di halaman Anda sendiri!
Dengan adanya genangan air dan tempat becek di halaman Anda, berarti sarang nyamuk bisa hidup dekat sekali dengan Anda! Nyamuk-nyamuk sering senang berkumpul di dalam rumput panjang ataupun di semak-semak, tetapi disitulah mereka tidak bisa bertelur atau mendewasa. Setiap nyamuk memerlukan air supaya bisa berkembang. Ada jenis nyamuk yang biasa bertelur di genangan/kolam air dimana telurnya menetas dalam waktu satu/dua hari saja. Juga ada jenis nyamuk lain yang bertelur di dalam ban roda yang dibuang, kaleng loakan atau kemasan-kemasan bekas lain. Telur-telur tersebut sering menetas dalam jangka waktu beberapa minggu bahkan bulan lagi kalau ada tempat dimana air bisa terkumpul. Langsung sesudah hujan, ingatlah untuk mengosongkan air genangan dari tempat mana saja dimana air bisa terkumpul di halaman Anda, supaya membantu mencegah nyamuk bisa bertelur.
· Buang setiap ban roda mobil yang bekas, kaleng loakan, ember, tong, botol, ataupun apa saja yang bisa mengandung air di tempat sampah tepat atau simpannya dengan baik.
· Isikan dengan tanah/semen atau kosongkan air dari setiap got/selokan di halaman Anda.
· Setiap beberapa waktu bersihkan got/selokan tersebut dari semua rumput liar atau sampah, agar air di sana boleh mengalir dengan bebas. Tutuplah tempat sampah supaya boleh tetap kering/bebas dari air.
· Perbaikilah setiap pipa yang bocor atau keran luar rumah yang rusak.
· Kosongkanlah kolam renang plastik/”kiddie pools” sering, paling tidak seminggu sekali, dan simpannya di dalam rumah/gudang/garasi kalau tidak sedang dipakai.
· Pastikanlah kolam renang Anda terawat/terpelihara dengan baik, khususnya pada waktu Anda pergi lama dari rumah (misalnya, kalau sedang “vacation”).
· Isilah dengan pasir atau semen setiap lobang atau tunggul pohon yang bisa mengandung air.
· Gantikanlah air dari setiap tempat mandi burung, tempat bunga atau “drip trays”, setidaknya seminggu sekali.
· Potong rumput halaman dan ranting semak di sekitar rumah Anda cukup sering, supaya nyamuk tidak bisa bersembunyi di sana.
Untuk informasi lebih lanjut tentang Virus Nil, kunjungilah: www.westnile.state.pa.us atau Vector Control Services Environmental Health Services 111 West Hunting Park Avenue Philadelphia, PA 19140 (215) 685-9027 www.phila.gov/health
The March 2012 EPX General Membership Meeting will be held on Monday, March 5th, from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Everyone is welcomed.The meeting will be held at the EPX Offices 1729 S. 11th St (Enter at gate north of 11th & Moore St Neumann Goretti High School entrance)
EPX will hear a presentation by American Cancer Society’s RELAY FOR LIFE.
The February 2012 EPX General Membership Meeting will be held on Monday, February 6th, from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM. Everyone is welcomed.The meeting will be held at the EPX Offices 1729 S. 11th St (Enter at gate north of 11th & Moore St Neumann Goretti High School entrance)
In addition to refreshments provided by the Girls Scouts of America, and please plan to buy your share of cookies to take home, EPX will hear a presentation by, and have a Q & A, with Gary Harkins, Community Relations Officer for PSA 3.
Questions? E-mail us at contact @ epcrossing.org
Mark your calendars for Tuesday January 24th at 6:30 p.m. and join members of all the Combined South Philadelphia Civic Association Alliance in the auditorium of Saints John Neumann – Maria Goretti High School. Meet SEPTA Constituent Relations Coordinator Wendy Green-Harvey and Michael Lyles Assistant Director of Transportation as they address issues relevant to schedules and ALL South Philadelphia routes.
Bowling Night Fundraiser
June 14th @ 7PM
St. Monica's Lanes
Your name will be added to the list at the door.