In addition to the officer and committee reports which inform our membership on the progress of the Association, there is another great reason to attend these meetings: monthly presentations by city, corporate and non-profit organizations which give us opportunities to improve our way of living.
What you’ve missed if you haven’t been to a General Meeting lately? Continue reading
EPX and all Philadelphians can take part in an effort to improve the quality of debate during the 2007 city elections and to write a forward-looking agenda for the region. This is an effort by the Inquirer Editorial Board, the U of P, the Annenberg School for Communication and the Fels Institute of Government. Register your thoughts and schedule yourself to attend a neighborhood citizens forum. See the calendar and get all the details at http://go.philly.com/registration, and don’t forget to list East Passyunk Crossing as your neighborhood!
Just a note of thanks and a wish for blessings of the Season to all our members from the Board of Directors of EPX. May the New Year fill us all with renewed energy to support the BEST civic association on the planet! We can look back and be proud of all our efforts to make our neighborhood better than the “grand old gal” she always has been. Spend this holiday resting on your laurels, we’ve earned it. We have quite the agenda for our first full calendar year and will need all the spirit we have shown to date plus some to spare. Much happiness and prosperity to all in 2007.
Gift Baskets – baskets compliments of Cellini’s – 1710 E. Passyunk Ave.
1) “Head-to-Toe”: $185 value featuring gift certificates for:
- Headhunters Hair Salon – 1718 E. Passyunk Ave.: $25
- 1601 (bar & restaurant) – 1601 S. 10th St.: $30
- Mr. Tee’s – 1201 Snyder Ave.: $30
- Reliable Floor Covering Co. – 1600 E. Passyunk Ave.: $100
2) “Shop-and-Dine EPX” : $165 value featuring gift certificates for:
3) “Dining Italian-Style” : $100 value featuring gift certificates for:
- Isgro’s Pasticceria – 1009 Christian St.: $20
- La Cucina Varallo – 1635 S. 10th St.: $25
- Mike & Matt’s Market (formerly Nino’s) – 1206 Mifflin St.: $30
- Positano Coast – 212 Walnut St.: $25
- “Get Fit in EPX” : Absolute Definition Gym – 2027 S. Juniper St., 2nd floor: 1-month gym membership with personal training sessions ($150 value)
- “Entertain the Kids” : Please Touch Museum – 210 North 21st St. 1 year, 4-person membership ($100 value)
- “Uptown Dining” : The Capital Grille – 1338 Chestnut St. $100 gift certificate According to Philadelphia Magazine, “The Capital Grille is worth a special trip” and won “Best of Philly Steakhouse 2004″.
Perhaps it is difficult in our society to all agree on whom to thank on the fourth Thursday of November. There are many people of many different faiths, some faiths with no divine being, some with no structured belief systems, some who do not believe in any higher power at all. One begins to consider that many of us are not even grateful to the country we live in, if we seriously disagree with the leaders or their course of action.
Take time, if you will, on November 22nd and stop one of you neighbors from the EPX area. The devoted folks who have given so much of their time as organizers, board members, committee members, and helpful hands. We, not one of us, would not have accomplished so much in such little time if not for a great deal of devotion and hard work.
So hats off to all of us! And let’s remember to thank one another!
Well they did more than spell our name right! The South Philly Review did a story on EPX in the 11/2 issue: http://southphillyreview.com/view_article.php?id=5023
Fred Durso, Jr. interviewed EPX co-chairs D. Fava and J.F. Marino touching on the generation and progress of our newly formed Civic Association and Town Watch. Kudos to Mr. Durso for getting the facts clear and painting us in a truly energetic and supportive manner. Regardless of the choice of title, though one might have said “Where Old and New CONVERGE!” it is a fine piece of journalism. We thank Mr. Durso and the editors of the paper for their efforts on our behalf.